|Class topics:||On the water:|
|• Safety||• Rigging|
|• Basic Knots||• Seamanship|
|• Basic Navigation||• Sailing Upwind|
|• Basic rules of the road||• Sailing downwind|
|• Sail theory||• Crew overboard|
Email BLISS for scheduling and availability. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Q: How can I prepare for my ASA course? Are there any course materials I need before the lesson?
- Schedule your lesson. Email Bliss to schedule your lesson.
- Arrange for the course materials. Sailing Made Easy by American Sailing Association, ASA Log Book and ASA 101 syllabus are available from Bliss. If you live out of the area, we can ship the materials to you. Note: The course materials are included in the cost of the course, but there is an additional fee to ship them.
- Check out ASA’s e-course to get started on the basics.
- Get a head start on the reading. Reading over the course text and syllabus will give you an idea of what to expect during the lesson.
- Pack your bag according to the marine weather forecast. We suggest bringing a waterproof outer-shell, warm layers made with polyester, fleece, wool or merino wool (no cotton), non-slip/non-marking shoes, a water bottle, lunch, lots of sunscreen, and chap stick.
Q: What is the certification process and how much does it cost?
ASA certification is not included in the course fee.
- Finish the lesson.
- Pass the ASA 101 written certification exam.
- Set-up your ASA membership for Y4,700 with Bliss to start your certification process.
- Pay the Y3,500 ASA 101 certification exam fee.
- Upon completing this course you will have the required skills to act as a competent crew on a sailing vessel. While you will not be certified to skipper a boat, you will have the necessary skills to return the boat to shore in the event that something happens to the skipper. Your certification should arrive in the mail within 4 to 6 weeks after passing your certification exam.
- Get on the water! Practice your new skills!
Q: What if I need to cancel or reschedule my lesson? What if Bliss cancels my lesson?
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
- Bliss’ first priority is safety. We may postpone or reschedule lessons at our own discretion for unforeseen circumstances or unsafe/extreme weather conditions.
- Students must give the Bliss at least 7 days notice to cancel for a full refund or reschedule a lesson. A fee of Y10,000 will be charged for cancellations/reschedules made within 7-days of the student’s scheduled lesson.
- Payment will not be refunded after the first day of the student’s lesson.
- There are no refunds for missed lessons.
- Missing a course due to personal illness or family emergencies can be rescheduled by contacting Bliss.
Q: How do I access the 2 Kyu exam materials for my 2 Kyu license?
- First, your 2 Kyu materials for the written exam are free for the next scheduled exam.
- About a month before the scheduled exam you will have access to the files.
- If you want the Practical exam, you will need to pay your portion of that expense.